Scott:

A provocative question, in response to one piece of your post quoted
below: to what extent do you believe that your "experienced
participant" is in fact using a form of SNA (intuitive and
heuristically based, to be sure) in order to answer the specified
question?

I think that it's quite likely that SNA researchers could have
something to learn about what kinds of analyses are the most useful,
in practice, to perform in order to answer questions like "who are the
thought leaders in this context"?  But it seems to me that your expert
user is still functioning as an independent observer--one with a good
deal more domain knowledge that a randomly selected SNA researcher,
certainly, but an independent observer nevertheless (unless part of
their methodology actually involves exchanging information to other
participants).  Further, while some techniques that such a user might
use might be harder to implement and duplicate than others, it's by no
means clear that they can't be automated at all.  (Is it worth the
trouble to do so?  Different question.  :> )

As a side note, one thing that the "number-crunching" approach can get
you is that it can identify large-scale phenomena (especially diffuse
phenomena) that can be very hard for a single human investigator to
identify, simply because of the amount of information involved.

Regards,

Joshua O'Madadhain

--
  joshua.omadadhain@gmail.com...................www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for.  -- Bill Watterson