Okay, I was following you until you likened yourself to nash :)

...personally I don't see the purely subjective approach as useful for most
business needs...really, we all see different shapes in the clouds and so
data analysis lends itself well to managers who wish to go beyond gut
feelings

as for the nodes point, I sort of see this... People are not just nodes,
there is depth to the individuals...but data can also get at this.

And oddly, while mainstream pubs jump all over milgram citations they
rarely mention that few packages reached their destinations, and of those
reaching end points the conduits shared several common interest/traits (as
I understood it)..they work harder to sell it as proof of 6 degrees etc...

it seems that the real suspect here is "viral marketing " in industry and
the exploitation of sna to create a discipline and approach that firms can
bank on where previously there was only endless posturing (think: seth
godin et al)..thats what sites like myspace are about - leveraging network
ties to effect product/service sales. Period.

it seems like this is boiling down to the use of terms...

Honestly, would you feel better if another canadian muslim were detained
because some intell officer visually glanced at his connections and through
sheer whimsy determined that he'd found another al qaeda operative? Or on a
more personal level, if online predators were wrongly identified within
myspace by "eyeballing" profiles (many parents add their kids and kids'
friends and so are suspect with such an approach)

just my two cents...
-dave