Hi all!

Got a question. While most network surveys I've seen tend to be in the
"here's a list of all objects within a boundary condition, please indicate
your relationship with any or all of them", I've also seen the "list the top
XX number of people who meet this boundary criteria and then, please
indicate your relationship with any or all of them".

I see a number of pros and cons to each of the forms. The former is more
complete and less likely to have missing or underreported results. The
latter has a reduced responder burden and may be useful when the number of
possible objects in the network is very large. The latter is actually a
series of ego networks that are overlapped and fused into a network map. The
former may result in overreporting of results which one might use reciprocal
ties for, but in doing so losing data on directionality.

So, where does the SNA community stand on this issue? Are there studies that
look at the issue?

Tim