<<<-------- Paul B. Hartzog-------->>>

> Has anyone used 'network motifs' in social networks?
>
> ala
> Network Motifs: Simple Building
> Blocks of Complex Networks
> R. Milo,1 S. Shen-Orr,1 S. Itzkovitz,1 N. Kashtan,1 D. Chklovskii,2
> U. Alon1*
> 25 OCTOBER 2002 VOL 298 SCIENCE

  The 'motifs' are called in Pajek 'fragments' and are
  implemented in Pajek since June 1997 - see
  http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/doc/history.htm

  They are shortly described on page 239 of our book ESNA
  http://uk.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521602629

  A special kind of fragments are triads. They are often
  used in SNA.

  There are some applications of fragments in analysis of
  genealogies:

  A. Mrvar, V. Batagelj:  Relinking Marriages in Genealogies.
  Metodološki zvezki 1(2004)2, 407-418.
  http://mrvar.fdv.uni-lj.si/pub/mz/mz1.1/mrvar.pdf

  Douglas R. WHITE:
  RING COHESION THEORY IN MARRIAGE AND SOCIAL NETWORKS.
  Math. & Sci. hum. / Mathematics and Social Sciences
  (42e année, n° 168, 2004(4), p. 59-82)
  http://www.ehess.fr/revue-msh/pdf/N168R940.pdf
  http://eclectic.ss.uci.edu/~drwhite/ISCOM/RingCohesion.pdf

  Klaus HAMBERGER, Michael HOUSEMAN, Isabelle DAILLANT,
  Douglas R. WHITE and Laurent BARRY:
  MATRIMONIAL RING STRUCTURES
  Math. & Sci. hum. / Mathematics and Social Sciences,
  (42e année, 2004(4), p. 83-119)
  http://www.ehess.fr/revue-msh/pdf/N168R965.pdf

  Vlado
--
Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, Department of Mathematics
  Jadranska 19, PO Box 2964, 1111 Ljubljana, Slovenia