Dear Rick,

My feeling is that people in business and commerce are usually more
explorative in intellectual innovations than what the proponents of
the commercial dimension of social networks appear to be. I think that
in this respect the key theoretical issue has been that of another
duality, that of the "real" vs. the "virtual," the way it has
developed by philosophers like Deleuze and Guattari and psychoanalysts
like Lacan and Zizek. Perhaps business scholars inspired from such
philosophical strands are more effective or successful (in the
business sense) than the naive networks promoters (of MySpace etc.),
who up to now seem not to have yet understood the paradigm of
Machiavelli or the Medici (that constitutes one of the first deepest
investigations of social network analysis - even political scientists
know about it now very well).

Best,

--Moses