Mark:

Are their applications of SNA that can be used to produce better
search?  Of course--that's what PageRank is (essentially an
eigenvector centrality measure on a slightly modified version of the
Web graph).  :)

(And yes, I think there are other applications of SNA to search, e.g.,
in personalization.  But the basic idea of treating the pages and
hyperlinks as a social network, and inferring rank on that basis, is
unlikely to be eclipsed (as a means to better search) for at least a
while yet, I suspect.)

Joshua

On 10/2/06, Mark Kennedy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Developing sets and related membership functions from a few examples is a
> basic pattern-matching activity that humans do amazingly well. It follows
> from the skill of drawing out a general pattern from specifics, a type of
> inference Peirce referred to as abduction.  The task of guessing the sets
> people have in mind from a short list of prompts can range from the easy to
> the supremely difficult, which is why it makes for some fun games (think
> scattergories, etc.). Are the prompts a few elements of the set?  Things
> they have in common (i.e., parameters in a membership function)? Part of a
> definition by elimination?
>
> As to usefulness for SNA, I think the question is best posed the other way
> around: are there applications or extensions of SNA that can be used to
> produce better search.  To this question, I expect the answer will very
> clearly become yes over the next few years.
>
> Cheers, -mk.
>

> Mark T. Kennedy, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor of Strategy
> Department of Management and Organization
> University of Southern California Marshall School of Business
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> web: http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~markkenn
> tel 213.821.5668 | fax 213.740.3852
> -----
> ³Well, sir, if things are real, theyıre there all the time.²
> ³Are they?² said the Professor; and Peter did not know quite what to say.
>         -- C.S. Lewis, from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

  joshua.omadadhain@gmail.com...................www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for.  -- Bill Watterson