From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Blyden B. Potts
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Not Purely SNA But Not Irrelevant

Two comments:

One, I see Bourdieuian used as well as Bourdieusian and Bourdieuvian.
I like the first and last of these better than the one with an 's'.
http://www.driftline.org/cgi-bin/archive/archive_msg.cgi?file=spoon-arch
ives
/bourdieu.archive/bourdieu_2002/bourdieu.0208&msgnum=1&start=1&end=109
may
be of consideration.

Two, don't the suffixes suggest different meanings? I would take -esque
and
-ish to be similar, suggesting a (moderate) level of similarity to the
reference person, perhaps mainly in style, while -ian to suggest being
in
the (core, scholarly) tradition of the reference person, and -ist to
refer
to an adherent of an -ism (i.e. a particular social "system" or belief
"system") related to the scholar.

If so then Marxian is scholarly work in the tradition of Marx, Marxism
is a
practice of Marx's principles, Marxist is one who practices those
principles
and/or one who advocates for their practice -- I believe this is the
distinction to which you refer that many Marxians find important to make
--
and Marxish (or Marxesque?) would be someone who is a bit like Marx
perhaps