I have a more general question related to the rationale of outsourcing on-
line tutoring such as Smarthinking. I was just discussing this with
colleague and am interested in other's thoughts on the matter.

When we consider outsourcing, are we doing our students a disservice by
overlooking the current student staff resource available on larger
institutional campuses? Many of the learning assistance programs use peer
learning assistants which provide exceptional personal and professional
development opportunities outside the classroom (leadership development).

If we can provide peer to peer assistance on campus, what are the limiting
factors of providing on-line synchronous or asynchronous academic
assistance applying the same principles of training and development we do
for our students who are trained as face to face tutors?

Thanks for your feedback and discussion on this issue.

Tammy Pratt, Director
Assessment and Learning Center
650 Parrington Oval
Norman, OK 73019