Thank you for responses. I did see that Smarthinking offers customization
to use student staff. I also looked at the alumni writing tutors research.

But let me clarify my questions. Even if we are only 'supplementing' our
tutoring with on-line services (outsourced) why can't WE
hire/train/develop our existing student population to run a 24/7 online
tutoring service?

Certainly, there is an issue of cost. However, when we look at factors
that positively impact students(i.e. retention due to working 'on-campus',
leadership development, effective use of resources, excellent training and
learning experiences) I believe a good argument can be formed to justify
cost.

Also, I understand that community colleges and others may not
have 'student resources' such as a large institution may have. This issue
certainly must be considered.

Again, I am wondering, why are we overlooking the potential resources that
are available right under our feet? Is it justifiable to go the 'cheaper'
route, purchase technology, and overlook an aspect of our mission of
assisting the learning experiences of students? We know that experienced
base learning is effective. Why aren't we exploiting it on our own
campuses?