-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Virginia Reiner
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Calculator or No Calculator

Colleagues,

I know this is an age-old dilemma, but this question is again causing
controversy in our developmental math department.

We offer 2 levels of developmental math, arithmetic and introductory
algebra.  Two out of the three instructors do NOT allow calculators to
be used in arithmetic.  The third is very much pro-calculator.  All 3
allow calculators in algebra.

What is your practice?

Thanks as always for your help.

Ginny

Virginia Reiner
Director of the Conklin Academic Skills Center
College of Saint Elizabeth
2 Convent Road
Morristown, NJ 07960
973-290-4303