We use the LOEP writeplacer along with the LOEP language usage  score
for placement into ESL writing here at Grand Rapids Community College.
Neither alone is as good as having both.  Students need both formal
understanding of English grammar and the ability to produce text.  With
ESL the issue of producing text gets complicated because with enough
resources and time, some ESL students can produce better writing than
they can in a testing room with no dictionary or spell check available.
On the whole, we are pleased with placement using a combination of these
two scores.

>>> Karyn Schulz <[log in to unmask]> 11/6/2006 9:32 AM >>>
Good morning friends

As the University of Baltimore prepares for its first freshmen class
in
over 30 years (!) we are not sure what our population will be
demographically. Keeping this in mind, we do not expect, for our first
class, to have a large representation of ESL students (regardless of
visa status). We will be adopting Accuplacer as our assessment (for
placement) tool and have not fully discussed a possible tool for the
ESL
students who may be applying. Can anyone on the list share their
perspectives on what they are using, do any of you use the ESL version
of Accuplacer's WritePlacer?

Thank you!

Karyn L. Schulz

Coordinator of Tutoring Services

Academic Resource Center

Division of Enrollment Management & Student Affairs

University of Baltimore

(410) 837-5387

browser to