Our academic advisors (as opposed to our faculty advisors) at Adams
State work with our developmental students.  Our training begins with
principles of Universal Design for Instruction, so that the advisors are
aware of the importance of balancing both challenge and support in the
advising relationship.  We then work through some of the specifics of
placement policies, referral procedures, and so forth to make sure
everyone has and is sharing accurate information.  We close the training
with a few role plays that highlight some of the common, although not
simple, situations which arise in academic advising.

I would encourage you to look at Universal Design for Instruction as a
basis for advising developmental students, because I think it offers
some guiding principles for the services advisors provide, but it also
allows you to move forward from where you are in a way that's
appropriate for your institution. /Best Practices in Access and
Retention in Higher Education /discusses these principles and their
application in coursework, but we have extended them to academic
advising at Adams State.

Bobbie Capobianco wrote:
> We are in the process of developing an advising program for students who
> need to take two or more developmental courses.
>
> Does anyone know of any training models specifically designed for
> advisors working with developmental students?
>
> Thank you in advance for your responses.

Debbie Cunningham
Interim Director
First Year Experience and Engagement
Adams State College