Here in the Northeast an approach being used by the Connecticut Distance
Learning Consortium is to combine forces, hiring staff from across many
campuses to provide on-line tutoring in a system similar to
Smartthinking.  It is not student tutors (as we hire here at the
University of Vermont) but for the Community College of VT, for example,
where student tutors are hard to find and keep for any length of time it
has been a good solution (I think.)

Anita Long

http://www.ctdlc.org/Student/tutoring.html

Tammy Pratt wrote:

>I have a more general question related to the rationale of outsourcing on-
>line tutoring such as Smarthinking. I was just discussing this with
>colleague and am interested in other's thoughts on the matter.
>
>When we consider outsourcing, are we doing our students a disservice by
>overlooking the current student staff resource available on larger
>institutional campuses? Many of the learning assistance programs use peer
>learning assistants which provide exceptional personal and professional
>development opportunities outside the classroom (leadership development).
>
>If we can provide peer to peer assistance on campus, what are the limiting
>factors of providing on-line synchronous or asynchronous academic
>assistance applying the same principles of training and development we do
>for our students who are trained as face to face tutors?
>
>Thanks for your feedback and discussion on this issue.
>
>Tammy Pratt, Director
>Assessment and Learning Center
>650 Parrington Oval
>Norman, OK 73019
>Ph: 405-325-4336
>Fax: 405-325-1870

Anita M. Long
Learning Skills Program Coordinator
University of Vermont
244 Commons Living/Learning
Burlington, VT
(802) 656-4075

"That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've
understood all your life, but in a new way". --  Doris Lessing

PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the designated
recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential, or otherwise
private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of an email
received in error is prohibited.