We used PLATO for a while but found the annual cost too much for our budget.
We now use online programs that provide subscriptions that the students pay
for.  We use ALEKS for math and MyWrtingLab (MWL) for writing.  Both are
very powerful programs and the students like them.  The costs are not bad
either.  In fact MWL can be bundled with just about any text that AB Longman
sells for no or reduced cost.  A stand alone subscription is 20.00 for a
semester