Calculators are permitted for all math classes here except for some
restrictions in the Basic Math (arithmetic) class.   (Graphing calc's. are
required once students hit Intermediate Algebra and thereafter.)

In the Basic Math class, calculators are not permitted for the first 3
chapters (whole numbers, fractions, decimals), then are allowed until near
the end of the course when integers/operations are covered and calculators
are again not permitted.

At the end of Chap. 3, there's a break from the text and a week or so is
spent on calculator usage with a test at the end of that unit before moving
on in the text.  As far as best practices go, I do like that idea.  Having
calculator usage (and its accompanying issues covered) imbedded within the
course is working out much better than just offering stand-alone calculator
workshops offered through the Tutoring Center.

The final for Basic Math is given in 2 parts:  No calculators for Chap. 1 -
3 and calculators permitted for the rest of it.

And I know, this issue has been around since calculators have.  See the
NYTimes for an article on math and basic skills just this past week
(although its focus is on the constructivist vs traditional math wars), many
of the issues are the same.  I think a solid understanding of the basic
concepts and operations should be absolutely required before calculators
should be used.  What's the point of using a calculator if one has no real
understanding of what they're doing?  An old prof of mine used to call it
'black-box mathematics'.

If you do a search on 'calculators and basic skills' or 'calculators in math
education', you'll find a (overwhelming) wealth of research and best
practices.

Kate

Kate Jakobson, Director
Tutoring and Student Success