  _____

From: Community College Research Center [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CCRC Announces New Book: Defending the Community College Equity
Agenda

  <http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/images/ccrc_Title.jpg>

  <http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/images/TransparantSquare.gif>

Dear Friends of CCRC,

The Community College Research Center (CCRC) is pleased to announce its new
book, Defending the Community College Equity Agenda, which will be released
on December 26, 2006.

Edited by Dr. Thomas Bailey and Dr. Vanessa Smith Morest of CCRC, Defending
the Community College Equity Agenda presents the most in-depth look to-date
at challenges confronting community colleges. The book analyzes how
community colleges have tried to improve their performance and their work
with low-income, minority, and non-traditional students, given the current
educational climate and the barriers and problems that their students face.
Drawing upon research derived from the real life experiences of 15 community
colleges nationwide, the book includes chapters on community college
missions, the accountability movement, impacts of the growth of for-profit
higher education institutions, distance education, industry certifications,
guidance and counseling, remediation, and dual enrollment. The book presents
recommendations for promoting equity and overall educational attainment.

You can find more information about the book on our website at:
http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/Publication.asp?uid=473. The book (ISBN
0-8018-8447-0, hardcover, $45, publication date: December 26, 2006),
published by Johns Hopkins University Press, can be ordered from the Hopkins
Fulfillment Service at 1-800-537-5487 or by visiting www.press.jhu.edu
(mention or enter the code NAF to receive a 20% discount).

Given your interest in community colleges, we hope that you will read the
book and pass along information about it to your friends and colleagues. For
those of you in and around New York City, we would encourage you to attend
our book signing on December 13, 2006, from 3:00-4:30.  For more information
about the event, please visit
http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/Seminar.asp?UID=24.

  _____

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please browse to:
http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/MyAccount.asp?uid=5794
<http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/MyAccount.asp?uid=5794&pwd=1900036>
&pwd=1900036