Growing out of the peer mentoring programs, Academic Coaching has been
developed in a number of schools.  At PVCC, our coaches are tutors with
some special, additional training. We say, "Tutors tutor subjects and
Coaches coach learning." Clients are self- and faculty- or staff-
referred. Peer and Professional Academic Coaches can receive
certification through the National Tutoring Association.

I don't think the name of tutor is stigmatized; I think the idea of
doing anything other than working entirely on one's own is still seen as
revealing weakness rather than showing strategic acuity. The financial
exigencies of higher education have forced program directors to focus on
the most at-risk populations and so have created the notion that you get
"help" in school work only when you are in trouble despite the evidence
of the efficiency and efficacy of collaborative learning.

Laura Symons

Coordinator of the Learning Center
Piedmont  Virginia Community College
501 College Drive