I am also interested in the issue of plagiarism. Nic, I appreciated your
thoughtful response, and I did read it to the "bitter end." It's a
relief to know that others find this to be a complicated, often
confusing topic too. I have taught writing and research courses and
always struggle with the "common knowledge" rule. My approach is to tell
students "When in doubt, cite your source." I teach a "How to Write a
Research Paper" workshop too and usually refer students to the research
course offered through the library when they start asking me tricky
questions about plagiarism. We do cover it briefly in the workshop, but
our faculty would like us to create an entire workshop (for both
students and faculty) called "Academic Honesty." Does anyone else offer
a similar workshop? If so, would you be willing to share your resources?
I did find the Indiana University web site to be very helpful.
Thanks.
Chrisa

Chrisa Hotchkiss
Director of Learning Services