Alfred, NY

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kitcey, Barbara
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Calculator or No Calculator

This is truly an age-old dilemma! We have gone back and forth, not
allowing a calculator, then allowing one, and back to no calculators for
the first half of our basic math class. Our beginning algebra classes do
not allow the use of calculators through the lessons on signed numbers
and order of operations.
Does anyone have any research on using calculators? What is best
practice?