-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peloso, Vinnie
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 3:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Following Directions

What I've done in the past is pair students up, directing one to tell
the other exactly what I do while the other writes down exactly what the
first student says.  Then I (slowly) make a PBJ in front of the class.
I usually do it twice.  Finally, I ask if any one pair of students
thinks they have a complete and accurate set of instructions written
down.  They are then invited to demonstrate for the class.  And again,
one student must do exactly what the other student says.  The class acts
as the judge, making sure the instructions are followed exactly.  I
usually bring in an apron and have plenty of paper towels on hand.  The
custodians haven't complained yet.  And everyone seems to get the
message: instructions need to be complete, accurate and in order.

Bon Appetit!
Vinnie Peloso
General Studies Instructor
College of the Redwoods