-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Janice Heerspink
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutor Name Change

Some are referred by other students. Students w/ disabilities are made
aware of
it in the admissions and registration process.  Others are referred by
faculty
or our staff in Student Academic Services for organizational assistance.

Sometimes tutors (whom I train) will refer a student when they are
working w/
them for course concepts, but they have more organizational needs than
they can
handle in a tutoring session.  Sometimes it's parents who have heard of
it and
have become aware that their sons/daughters need to develop
self-management
skills.  And some of our best coaches are upper-class students who were
coached
when they first came.  jan

>>> beth kupper-herr <[log in to unmask]> 10/31/06 2:31 PM >>>
How do the coaches get their clients?  Do students come on their own or
are
they referred by instructors?

     beth kupper-herr

> We have a wonderful program at Calvin called the coaching program.
Coaches
> here help students w/ organizational skills, not course work.  They
were
> originally for students who having learning disabilities including
ADD, but
we
> now use them for other students (esp. first year students) who have
problems
> figuring out the self-management issues they must learn to survive in
college.
> jbh
>

> Janice Heerspink
> Tutor Coordinator and Academic Counselor
> Student Academic Services
> Calvin College
> Grand Rapids, Michigan
> 616-526-6073

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
(((

Beth Kupper-Herr
Professor
Coordinator, Learning Resource Center