Dear Michael Haenlein, et al,

I'd think any history of social network analysis would start these days
with:

The Development of Social Network Analysis: A Study in the Sociology of
Science (Paperback) by Linton Freeman. Only US$16 at Amazon.

It's especially good at the early stuff.

A useful complement is my own
"Structural Analysis: From Method and Metaphor to Theory and Substance"
Pp. 19-61 in Social Structures a Network Approach, edited by Barry Wellman
& S.D. Berkowitz. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1988

You can't buy it anymore, but you can read it on my website or get from
your fave library.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php