> This objection notwithstanding cognition needn't be bound to
> human beings.
> This sounds somewhat counterintuitive and cuts through
> entrenched uses of the term.

Dear Athanasios and colleagues,

In science studies we are used to the term "discursive knowledge," that is,
knowledge which can be attributed to the discourse and is then reflected by
the participants. Discursive knowledge is the product of (non-linear and
recursive) interactions.

Similarly, one can consider the network as a knowledge infrastructure, while
the knowledge base (or a paradigm) is developed autopoietically as a
property of the network. Nevertheless, one can try to measure both knowledge
infrastructures and knowledge bases, for example, using entropy statistics.
Social network analysis is the tool par excellence for measuring networks,
for example, using comparative statics.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/