Hey Everybirdy,

  As Stephen Chalmers relayed, it was indeed a brief  encounter.  Arriving
shortly after 6:30 a.m. to find David Simpson already  surveying the area.  We
were joined soon after by Roy Morris and another  gentleman from Colorado.
David went off to work and some other park  workers stopped to ask what we were
in search of.
   When we explained he returned soon after with bird  book in hand.  After
confirming the pic of our quarry he left only to  return some 10 minutes or so
later to say "Hey, I think I found your  bird!".  We jumped in our vehicles
and headed to near the park entrance in  fromt of the baseball fields adn he
pointed to a topless maple.  There it  was!!
  No sooner did we jump in the cars to reposition out of  the road, to look
again and find an empty perch!  Ugh!
  I only stayed til around 9:45, as other birders trickled  in to hear of the
10 second view (if that!).

  As I was heading home, I decided for a quick detour to  visit the Masked
Duck.  Yep, still there.  Today she was further down  from her usual spot, not
due to wandering photogs, but several boisterous  Coots!  At least 7 or 8 were
in sparring pairs.  I'd like to assume  they might be mating but I'm not quite
sure.  They were fairly violent  squabbles which would eventually find one on
top literally holding the other  under water.  It seemed like quite a
struggle.
  A couple of times a third seemed to be squawking at  "mounted" pair (for
lack of a better phrase) quite  distressed.
  I invite you to look at a "photojournal" of sorts of  said incidents:
_www.pbase.com/boidpikchas/coot_squabble_
(http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas/coot_squabble)

See you out there!

Thomas J. Dunkerton