This is a really interesting and provocative article that weaves
together many of the interests we have in BEST: anaerobic
digestion, nutrient recycling, sustainable agriculture, aquatic
plant utilization, etc.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0506/S00068.htm

ABSTRACT

Decades of an "environmental bubble economy" built on the
over-exploitation of natural resources has accelerated global
warming, environmental degradation, depletion of water and oil,
and brought falling crop yields, precipitating a crisis in world
food security with no prospects for improvement under the business
as usual scenario.

There is, nevertheless, a wealth of knowledge for making our food
system sustainable that not only can provide food security and
health for all, but can also go a long way towards mitigating
global warming by preventing greenhouse gas emissions and creating
new carbon stocks and sinks.

One of the most important obstacles to implementing the existing
knowledge is the dominant economic model of unrestrained,
unbalanced growth that has already failed the reality test. I
describe a highly productive integrated farming system based on
maximising internal input to illustrate a theory of sustainable
organic growth as alternative to the dominant model.

--
Jason Evans
Ph.D. Candidate, Interdisciplinary Ecology

BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Society
http://grove.ufl.edu/~bests/