From: Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of MARTIN,ELIZABETH J
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Question about Biofuels overall effects

To anyone willing to address my question:

I was wondering if someone would mind directing me to some information regarding
the pros and cons of biofuel vs. petroleum in terms of land use and water
consumption.

While I fully agree that there is a dire need to reduce reliance on petroleum
and other non-renewable resources, I am concerned as to how it balances out on
the other end of the spectrum.
Currently over 1 billion people do not have access to safe drinking water,
resulting in millions deaths every year due to unsafe and unsanitary water
conditions.  The main problem is the agricultural techniques used to produce
crops such as corn, wheat, soybeans, etc.  The largest problem is the net loss
of water and the destruction of land due to irrigation.  From what I?ve been
reading, it appears that the main alternatives to petroleum lie in the use of
these organic materials as potential fuels.  So my main point is this, even if
biofuels replace petroleum and reduce green house gases and air pollution, won?t
the result be an even bigger problem due to water scarcity?  I understand that
no one can know if this will even be a problem, but I can?t help but wondering
if biofuels are the answer, or if they are a catch 22.

I also have a slight problem with the burning of natural and human wastes.
While this does eliminate the growing problem of landfills and the release of
methane gas into the atmosphere, isn?t it still slightly retroactive because
combustion of any material releases carbon dioxide?

I'm terribly sorry if these questions seem ridiculous or completely off base,
but I'm having trouble finding answers.

Incase anyone was wondering where I got my information on water
scarcity:
www.blueplanetproject.net

There is also a very informative article available at:
http://www.qmw.ac.uk/~ugte133/courses/environs/cuttings/water/
Click running.pdf

Thanks.
Liz