Some quick responses from here.  Regarding your thoughts on competition
for water, I think your logic is sound where irrigation is used.
However, 75% of agricultural land is not irrigated in developing
countries
(http://www.fao.org/docrep/w5146e/w5146e0a.htm#irrigated%20land), I know
a lower percentage of agricultural land is irrigated in the US (I can't
find a reference right now) and virtually no forest land is irrigated.
So producing biomass doesn't necessarily use irrigation.  On the flip
side, the likes of Dr. Rockwood in SFRC do research in using reclaimed
municipal waste (sewer) water to increase biomass production and provide
a service by using the water and removing nutrients from the water,
which is non-potable and represents an environmental liability.  As
populations grow, so does this resource, unfortunately (unless maybe we
start using compositing toilets or something, regardless we will still
have huge amounts of waste water from some sources).

Regarding the combustion question:  As biomass and biosolids are burned,
they release CO2.  However, if the same amount of biomass and biosolids
decay naturally, they also emit the same amount of CO2 through
decomposition.  If the decomposition is above ground, then the return to
the atmosphere happens as fast as the decomposition.  Some environmental
benefits are derived from some resources (mulch from wood, compost from
organics, and fertilizer from sludge), though excess resources do
accumulate.  But ultimately, all organic carbon is going back to the
atmosphere in the carbon cycle.

Biomass, of course, is not "the" answer, but can be an answer.
Regards, and Merry Christmas,
Matt

Matthew Langholtz
Postdoctoral Research Associate
School of Forest Resources and Conservation, UF
P.O. Box 110410
Gainesville, FL 32611-0410
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Office: (352)846-0892