Twenty-two birders assembled for the Tropical Audubon Society s annual
"Exotics" field trip on Saturday, December 2, 2006. We met at 1:00 p.m. in
the emergency overflow parking lot of Baptist Hospital on Kendall Drive and
proceeded to walk to the neighborhood directly across the street from
Baptist Hospital (Pranty-pgs. 222 and 228) on Kendall Drive (S.W. 88 St.)
and S.W. 87 Ave. We walked around several blocks across Kendall Dr. and soon
located the first of several Spot-breasted Orioles. Doubling back, we
located a single Red-whiskered Bulbul under a Monk Parakeet stick-nest built
around an FP& L transformer. A flock of Mitred Parakeets landed in a Ficus
tree in the parking lot offering excellent looks and three White-crowned
Pigeons was a nice bonus. We also located Muscovies, Rock Pigeons, Eurasian
Collared Dove and European Starlings on the hospital grounds.

We headed to Miami Springs to the Fair Havens Nursing Home, where we spotted
a dark morph Short-tailed Hawk overhead and a Merlin perched in a Norfolk
Pine. Monk Parakeets were in the Malaleuca trees surrounding the large
pueblo revival structure. We drove the area with our windows down and had
little luck locating any Psittacids. A pair of Mottled ducks was in the pond
in front of the Curtiss Mansion restoration project on Deer Run. On the way
to Apache and Wren we saw several House Sparrows feeding on the ground. We
were running short on time when a flock of Mitred Parakeets was seen flying
overhead near the Springs Pool. The one different species in the flock went
unidentified.

We soon spotted another flock of Aratingas, which briefly landed on a
power-line. We identified Green Parakeet, Crimson-fronted Parakeet and
White-eyed Parakeets before they flew off.
Light would soon become scarce so we headed south to our final destination -
the old Miller Drive Parrot Roost (Pranty-pg. 222 (map) and pg. 227). Four
White-fronted Parrots perched on the power-lines near the intersection of
S.W. 64th Street and S.W. 62nd Avenue. A pair of Hill Mynas were seen
calling nearby. We were unable to find where any large flocks of parrots are
now roosting and called it a day.

Our exotics total finished at 14 species and 15 counting Common Mynas I saw
in Florida City on the way to Lucky Hammock earlier in the day. Highlights
at the hammock were an American Bittern, Sandhill Cranes, Least Flycatcher,
Grasshopper, Savannah, Lincoln s and Clay-colored Sparrows, Painted Bunting
and a yellow Northern Cardinal.

Life is good...... .. urban birding in a world class city like Miami.
Speaking of urban good luck to Urban Meyer and the Florida Gators in keeping
a Florida university in the NCAA - BCS national championship hunt.

Paul Bithorn
Virginia Gardens, Florida