I looked out the window this morning and saw a full rufous-backed bird at a
feeder. When it looked up I was able to see that it had an incomplete gorget
indicating that it is a first year male Rufous Hummingbird. The female was
quick to chase him off. I view this with guarded excitement as previous
years when we had males, we had very few regular hummers. They have always
been much more territorial than the returning female.

Hummingbird activity continues in the yard with much activity but there are
still lulls. A little weather always helps to increase things as it usually
brings in a new bird or two.

Steve Backes
Valrico, FL
http://mysite.verizon.net/resu64md/yardhummers20062007/