This morning, Fred Bassett with the Hummer/Bird Study Group was in town to try and catch some of the wintering hummers that have been seen over the past few weeks.  At 7:00 am we were at Fran Rutkovsky's home where she had a banded male rufous and two likely ruby throated hummers.  The rufous and one of the ruby throated hummers showed up but refused to enter the traps.

  After that we went to Jody and Claudia's home in Killearn where Fred earlier had recaptured a buff-bellied from the year before.  On that trip Fred also banded an immature male ruby throated and we had seen a third bird that was not caught.  This morning we set up two traps and in minutes the buff-bellied came up and went in my trap.  I just let it feed and as it was leaving another hummer chased it form the trap.  Minutes later I caught the male ruby throated from the last trip that Fred verified by the band number.  Fred marked the bird with a pink dot so it could be easily identified when it returned.

  After chasing two chicadees out of the trap, the third hummer came up and went into the trap.  This was not the third bird, but turned out to be a mature female calliope, Tallahassee's 4th one to be banded by Fred Bassett.

  I have posted some photos of the banding at www.pbase.com/fdietrich/jodyc

  Fred Dietrich
  Tallahassee, FL