Hello, All.

We switched up banding days so a group of students
could get a demonstration on banding as they were also
learning about the local flora and fauna.

Fairly quiet day at the nets but birds were all over.
Still a lot of fly overs which were pretty much Robins
and Warblers.

We ended up with a number of recaptures and a new
Hermit Thrush and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. All of the
photos and details are located at the Wekiva banding
site located here:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/wekivabirdband/2006-12-02.html

We will not be banding for a few weeks so no thrilling
notes from me from there for a while.

Other birds seen/heard included:

Barred Owl
Palm Warbler
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Eastern Towhee
Reb-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Carolina Chickadee
Northern Cardinal
Red-shouldered Hawk
Eastern Phoebe
Pine Warbler
_______________________________________
After the banding yesterday, I headed out to try and
find a Vermilion Flycatcher near the north shore of
Lake Jessup.

I was tipped off by fellow birders Paul Hueber and Ken
Schmidt who had located it from directions from Bob
Sicolo who found the bird on a November count.

I got to the spot indicated and, after a quick scan of
a nearby small oak, spotted a bright red patch in the
far distance. Vermilion Flycatcher? Check! Life Bird
number 300 for me, a milestone I was hoping to get to
before the end of the year. Now I can relax.

I was going to be happy with that far away look
through the bins but I tried getting closer using the
small oak for a blind. Seconds later, the bird flew
directly into the tree I was using!

I managed a lot of great views from as close as 13
feet. It spent a lot of time grabbing bugs and then
preening in the oak as I stood quietly by.

Spent the next hour trying to ID the numerous sparrows
moving through the grasses but, as my sparrow ID
skills aren't up to par, could only positively ID
Savannah and Swamp sparrows for sure.

This would make an excellent banding spot for
sparrows, I think.

Hmmmmmm...

Other birds seen/heard at North Lake Jessup
Conservation Area:

Bald Eagle
Black Vulture
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Northern Cardinal
Western Palm Warbler
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Glossy Ibis
White Ibis
Great Egret
Tri-colored Heron
Great Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron
Tree Swallow
Wilson's Snipe
Eastern Tufted Titmouse
Black and White Warbler
Pine Warbler
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Mourning Dove
American Kestrel
Eastern Meadowlark
A few gulls waaaaaaay out over the lake I could not
ID.

Andrew Boyle
Orlando, FL