During a Piping Plover survey this afternoon (12/5) about 2:30 p.m., I found two Purple Sandpipers on the south jetty of Ponce deLeon Inlet in New Smyrna Beach, at Smyrna Dunes Park. The birds were both foraging on the rocks of the ocean side of the jetty.

We also located 9 Piping Plovers in the area.

I could not locate any scoters this evening, but at sunset I found a small flock of 8-10 Buffleheads, including one male. The birds were found just south of the causeway to the Dunlawton Bridge in Port Orange along Halifax Drive, the street that runs south along the water beside Aunt Catfish's Restaurant.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet