Cedar Key and environs: We recently visited the area to attend an annual gathering of Am. Oystercatcher researchers. In addition to observing hundreds of the latter species and numerous marked birds from multiple Atlantic coast states, we also observed large nos. of Marbled Godwit (flock of 100 directly in front of the town) and other shorebird species. White Pelicans and DC Cormorant occurred in abundance and Bald Eagles were a common species. A rafting flock of ca 1000 Lesser Scaup was observed from the roadside in the city and Bufflehead were common in the Gulf.

Because so few reports seem to come from that area, we thought we would share our impressions of our trip there. Unlike most of the east coast, that area has seen much less development and most of the coastline is protected within refuges and preserves. Anyone desiring to see less of mankind's influence and more of nature and lots of birds would be well served to visit Cedar Key and surrounding area. One caution, airboats are the preferred method of conveyance in the area and their "loud" operation is an unfortunate annoyance in the backcountry.

Doris and Patrick Leary, Fernandina Beach