>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:47:29 -0400, Tom Miller <[log in to unmask]> said:

>> I think it's the inverse of that problem: my simple shell sessions
>> stay alive for weeks and weeks, as I'd expect.  I can unplug my entire
>> router/cablemodem structure, and fart around with recabling for a few
>> minutes, and (so long as I wait a minute or so after re-plugging) I
>> get normal response time.
>>
>> It's the Emacsen which die overnight.

> This might sound silly, but way back in the dark ages of university
> computing, the sysadmins would run reaper jobs that would hunt for
> idle processes using lots of CPU time or memory (*cough* Emacs
> *cough*) and kill them off. Are you sure it's not something simple
> going on?

Heh.  Not silly, but I think I'm one of the sysadmins of the box where
the emacsen are running.  I do run into 'out of cputime' occasionally,
but I don't think we're reaping.  I guess what I need to do is ssh -v
and debug that output.  SOMETHING should say something about why the
connection came down.

- Allen S. Rout