>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:35:35 -0400, Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]> said:

>> The OLPC project is an ambitious project to equip the world's
>> children with a uniquely designed laptop powered by Linux and open
>> source software.

> Not that the idea of the hand-crank computer isn't cool...

The hand crank went out: hard to get it right.

> but I'm curious whether clean drinking water for all children would
> be more useful to them than a laptop computer.

Of course it would be.  Can you work out, as an exercise for the
class, the differences in the economics and politics of control for
the two scenarios?

I'll give you a start: if you put 100 free-water devices on a truck on
the east coast of Africa, and drive west, how far do you get before
your truck is stolen?

For extra credit, you can calculate the likelyhood it'll be stolen by
a "government" or a "bandit".  Any conclusion founded in objective
reality is admissable.

- Allen S. Rout