>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:49:57 -0500, Brian Bartholomew <[log in to unmask]> said:

>> This doesn't sound like surveillance, more like a portfolio. A way
>> for the kids to come home and say "hey mom, look what I did in
>> school today!"

> The idea of a portfolio is that you self-select a small subset of
> your work that's the best, and then advertise yourself with it.

> The idea of surveillance is that all your work is available for
> inspection all the time, and you have no choice about it.

I think they're not working hard enough at it to make the surveilance
goal (as opposed to the 'backup their work' goal) plausible.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Help_and_tips#To_erase_the_Journal

>  rm -r ~/.sugar/default/datastore

I certainly agree that this can be used to pry into the kids'
business.  I'm not confident that's an evil thing in the default case,
though I do think it admits abuse.

I think motivated kids will blow through any serious surveilance
attempts.