Ed,

Using your suggestions I was able to determine that the Windows disk is
believed by GRUB to be hd0.  Therefore I took out the "map" commands and
used the 4 remaining commands to attempt the boot.  Unfortunately when I
choose Windows and hit return it takes me right back to the "Loading
Fedora Core in ........ x seconds", i.e. as if GRUB was just coming up.
Perhaps now it's an issue with the Windows boot loader?

~Mark

PS. If useful, up to now I've been using a Windows startup disk to
bypass GRUB and take me to Windows when I needed it.