On 5/1/07, Eric Lavigne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/archive/2007/04/30/a-dynamic-language-runtime-dlr.aspx
>
> http://tirania.org/blog/
>
> Microsoft is open sourcing some very nice pieces of technology. They
> have reimplemented Ruby, Python, Javascript, and OCaml as .NET
> languages. They have released their new dynamic language runtime
> (DLR), a sandboxing runtime called Silverlight, as well as the first
> two of those four languages, under the Microsoft Permissive License,
> which seems like a very open license. OCaml is provided free as in
> beer, but under a more restrictive license that might keep it out of
> Linux distros.
>
> Here is the Microsoft Permissive License. It is a short license that
> doesn't seem to have any weird strings attached.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/licensingbasics/permissivelicense.mspx
>
> This is a very significant gift to the open source community, and I
> don't see any indication of Trojans hiding inside.

Probably more of a reactionary move than anything.

Adobe open sources Flex, and waddaya know?...magically, Microsoft does the
same with their competitive product a week later.  Flex is licensed under
MPL, supported on RedHat, Mac, and Solaris already.  What are the chances
you're gonna see cross platform, multi-platform, or alternative platform
development tools for Silverlight?  Ok, maybe the mono people will get
something working 6months to a year from now.  Flex works with eclipse
today.

Dont get me wrong, its a step in the right direction.  But I'm not ready to
believe ms has somehow seen the light.  They're just trying to get back into
a game thats passed them by.

dan