> Probably more of a reactionary move than anything.
>
> Adobe open sources Flex, and waddaya know?...magically, Microsoft does the
> same with their competitive product a week later.  Flex is licensed under
> MPL, supported on RedHat, Mac, and Solaris already.  What are the chances
> you're gonna see cross platform, multi-platform, or alternative platform
> development tools for Silverlight?  Ok, maybe the mono people will get
> something working 6months to a year from now.  Flex works with eclipse
> today.

Flex is primarily for building Flash apps, and Flash is still proprietary.

Microsoft created some new implementations of popular open source
languages, giving Python and Ruby developers much easier hooks into
some of the capabilities that MS developed for VBasic and C#. In this
case, the foundation that they should hold on to and keep proprietary,
if they were copying Adobe, would be .NET, CLR, and DLR. Silverlight
is a related technology which is also really neat. They gave away all
of it.

Sure, this leaves some work for the Mono developers, but it does not
leave any artificial hoops for them to jump through. I don't know how
long it will take, but I do believe it will happen. Where's the catch?
Okay, I admit it. They didn't open source Windows. Maybe we need to
start lobbying for that. Perhaps, now that they've switched to Vista,
they would consider open sourcing XP :-P