On 5/1/07, Eric Lavigne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Microsoft did not give away "all of it" .Net and the CLR are proprietary.
> And giving away the DLR is a red herring.  It hooks into the CLR.  About the
> only thing useful you'll be able to do with it is extend it to allow you to
> write ms applications with your own homegrown implementation of
> "IronSnobol".

I was under the impression that the Mono project had already
reimplemented the CLR, and that C# was already being used to write
Linux apps. Is the Mono CLR significantly inferior to or incompatible
with Microsoft's CLR?

On a side note, I look forward to playing with IronRuby on Linux. My
homegrown implementation of Iron{not invented yet} can wait for later
:-D

Being an ECMA "Standard" is not equivalent to being "open source", nor is it equivalent to "giving it all away".  Ms still owns and controls it.

> And saying that "Flex is primarily for building Flash apps, and Flash is
> still proprietary" is irrelevent.  Windows is proprietary, yet somehow
> people seem to be able to write open source apps that use Windows for
> drawing the screen.

There are many alternatives for drawing the screen. Open source apps
that use Windows only for drawing the screen can easily be ported to
other environments, finding other ways to draw the screen. What about
apps that rely on Flash? Is there an open source replacement? I don't
think that Adobe is going to yank Flash out from under us, but they
seem to be deliberately keeping that option open.

From my vantage point, Microsoft's latest gift seems about midway
between Sun's and Adobe's recent gifts to our community. Not bad for a
long time enemy :-D

Not necessarily good either.  As I said in my first post...its a step in the right direction.  I'll give them that.  But lets wait for the other shoe to drop.  In the meantime, there are more open solutions (OpenLazlo) and less untrustworthy companies to bet my support on.

dan