On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:17 -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> I have a HP machine running RHES4 here which has/seems to claim
> its controller is a compaq smart array (during boot time it identifies
> itself as hp smart array 6i, but who am I to disagree?).

Makes sense; HP bought Compaq.  Model number is probably DL-something.

>  Connected to it
> are two hard drives. For some reason, one of its hard drives died on
> Sunday.  It worked for a day and then when we tried to boot it, it would
> stop at at very limited grub screen. I then booted it off the centos
> liveCD. The hardware browser the disk is mounted at /dev/cciss/c0d0. The
> hardware browser not only finds it but also shows me the different
> partitions defined in it. I would put its output here but I do not know
> the equivalent command.  So, let me show what I know so far:
>
> [root@netips31 ~]# mke2fs -n /dev/cciss/c0d0
> mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> Filesystem label=
>
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=4096 (log=2)
> Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> 17924096 inodes, 35841780 blocks
> 1792089 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=0
> Maximum filesystem blocks=37748736
> 1094 block groups
> 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
> 16384 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
>         32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632,
>         2654208, 4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872
>
> [root@netips31 ~]# e2fsck -b 819200 /dev/cciss/c0d0
> e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
> /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>

> [root@netips31 ~]# dmesg | grep ccis
> cciss: Device 0x46 has been found at bus 2 dev 1 func 0
> cciss: using DAC cycles
>  cciss/c0d0: unknown partition table
> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev cciss/c0d0.
> [root@netips31 ~]#
>
> Now, inside dev/cciss is only one file: c0d0. So, I do not see how I would
> be abl to mount those volumes. Where do I go from here?

"fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0"  should enable you to print the partition table
if it's not totally hosed.  That will give you the information you need
to mount the disks, and also to make that mke2fs command work; c0d0 is
not a filesystem, mke2fs works on filesystems.  Filesystems would be
things like "/dev/cciss/c0d0p2".