On 7/20/07, Bill Merriam <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I clearly don't know much about small business applications and Windows.
>  I understand that with Quickbooks, Network edition, the client runs on
> the Windows client and the database server, Ingress, has to run on a
> Windows server so a Samba server won't be a usable substitute.  Do other
> small business apps run executables on the server, in addition to the
> client?  Can someone point me at an example of that so I can go look at it?

There are numerous (and horrid) examples; They range from medical
office apps (patient record programs, medical imaging) to accounting
and email servers (mdaemon, exchange).  It's an ugly scene.  To make
matters worse, most Windows "server" applications (especially stuff
coded inhouse) usually aren't made to use TCP/IP as their main method
of communication between server and client - NetBIOS with mapped
drives and shared files.  It's as good as it sounds.  Like traveling
cross-country by loading a horse and buggy onto a jetliner.

--

Ben