Setup: Ubuntu 7.04, Dell D620, nVidia NVS 110

The only convenient way that I found to correct my resolution problem turned
out to be very simple:
edit xorg.conf with output from command gtf, where resolution arguments are
manually provided.

$ gtf 1440 900 60

  # 1440x900 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 55.92 kHz; pclk: 106.47 MHz
  Modeline "1440x900_60.00"  106.47  1440 1520 1672 1904  900 901 904 932
-HSync +Vsync

update monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Scott