On Tue Aug 14 13:53:33 EDT 2007, Shawn McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 12:47 -0400, ODEN,MARK THOMAS wrote:
>>

>> > find /ftp/traces -cmin +1440 -type f -exec rm -rf {} \;
>> (how to interpret it)?
>
> {} substitutes the current file found; basically inserts what
> "-print"
> would have output.  The ";" says to do one invocation of the
> command per
> file; a "+" would be used to do something different that I've
> never once
> done and thus can't be sure I understand.  The "\" is necessary
> or the
> shell interprets the ";" as something else.
>
> See the man page for more detail.  Hint: to search a man page for
> "{}"
> you'd need to do "/\{\}"

Thanks again Shawn.

So a problem I should have anticipated; the new find command only
finds files (as I requested...) but it does not take care of the
folders that were created by the log backup.  Any way to take care
of these w/o deleting the root folder as was the problem before?

~Mark Oden