Bruce,
Indeed, Vista appears to be over controlling--understatment.  Sadly, the
masses (typical users) won't have a clue until it's too late.  What's
galling is that Microsoft will have the power to neuter my (HDMI)
hardware if they believe (even mistakenly) that I'm dorking around with
the SDR encryption.  Feck'n-A !

BTW, Gutmann updates his paper every so often.  Consequently, the original
link is disabled for a wee bit.
Cached Link:
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:-7EUWAtJmTEJ:www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt+cs.auckland.ac.nz&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2
<http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:7EUWAtJmTEJ:www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt+cs.auckland.ac.nz&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2>

My arse is aflamed:  This is bullocks!

*Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support
*

In order to prevent the creation of hardware emulators of protected output
devices, Vista requires a Hardware Functionality Scan (HFS) that can be used
to uniquely fingerprint a hardware device to ensure that it's (probably)
genuine. In order to do this, the driver on the host PC performs an
operation in the hardware (for example rendering 3D content in a graphics
card) that produces a result that's unique to that device type.

In order for this to work, the spec requires that the operational details of
the device be kept confidential. Obviously anyone who knows enough about the
workings of a device to operate it and to write a third-party driver for it
(for example one for an open-source OS, or in general just any non-Windows
OS) will also know enough to fake the HFS process. The only way to protect
the HFS process therefore is to not release any technical details on the
device beyond a minimum required for web site reviews and comparison with
other products."

As a tension breaker, Gutmann surreptitiously quotes a prophetic line from
Star Wars:

"Perhaps Hollywood should heed the advice given in one of their most famous
productions: 'The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip
through your fingers'."

--Nong

--
"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything
original."                           -- Sir Ken Robinson

http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=ken_robinson