On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 16:54 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I just found something recommended by Toshiba, called KILLDISK or
> maybe it was KILLDRIVE. You might give that a try. It will write
> zeroes to every bite on the drive if you want it to, including the
> MBR. Be very careful what you wish for....   :-)

HDDErase.exe uses the built-in ATA function to wipe a drive, and is
recommended by NIST for secure data destruction. It is claimed to be at
least twice as fast as overwriting, with a greater level of security,
but I haven't done any comparison tests.

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/Hughes/SecureErase.html

-avi