On 10/24/07, Dustin Walker <[log in to unmask] > wrote:
> My desktop at home blue screened on me a couple of days ago and rather than
> trying to fix it, I was thinking about installing Ubuntu...
>
> Any "must have's" from the repository that don't come with the standard
> install? Anything to stay away from? How does the new version compare to
> 7.04?
>
> I am brand new to Linux so any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dustin Walker

DO NOT USE AUTOMATIX.  It breaks the shit out of Ubuntu down the road.  Anyone who disagrees should probably be running Gentoo anyway.  OOH!!  BURN!!  :D

I added the universe and multiverse repos and haven't found myself lacking anything I've desperately needed so far.

This is my current /etc/apt/sources.list file.  Adjust for a closer mirror as needed.

-----------------

deb http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates main restricted universe multiverse

# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu gutsy commercial

deb http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/ubuntu/ gutsy-proposed restricted main multiverse universe

I installed Adobe Reader from the installer on their FTP site.  They make a deb package for easy installation.  I think I had a few hiccups with it, but nothing major - some obscure library for handling HTML, I think.

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/8.x/8.1.1/enu/

--

Ben