On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 14:47 -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:

> etc.  Almost all modern technologies have been developed the same way: early
> international telephone calls cost $10/minute at a time when $10 was a week's
> pay for a secretary. They had customers. The first cell phones cost $3/minute
> when a secretary got $5/hour. They had plenty of customers. The first
> commercial airliners... well I don't know what they cost, but it was rich
> people flying in them.  They each became affordable because enough rich
> people bought the service to keep it in business long enough to pay off
> development costs and gain enough experience to become efficient enough that
> the average person could afford it. If you want to kill the future of cheap
> space transport, then increase taxes on the rich, or increase taxes on the
> profits made by investing in space flight (we call those "capital gains
> taxes").

Sex.  That's what will drive the prices down.  Phone sex drove the phone
down, and people flying around "on business" were mostly just looking
for hookers who didn't get their nails done at the same salon as the
wife.

Mark my words, when somebody opens a brothel at L5, we'll all have cheap
space travel.