Hello all,

I am gradually starting to port some "real" software to Linux, and one
of the things that simply must become Linux-aware is a time-based backup
system I first wrote to put an end to wearing out a set of 3.5" floppies
every couple of months.  It has changed a couple of times over the
years: once to cope with 100+MB "floppies" and again when I began
dropping MS tools.

The backup system, aside from some preview tricks (to save me from
myself) lives to scan the first local hard disk and a named removable
device for the files named (often by wildcard) in its script (stored on
the removable disk), and then proposes to copy such that newer files
win.  Are there any tricks to Linux time stamps that I should know
about?  I vaguely recall that Sun unix jocks caused a real mess when
distributing an early version of Java.  Are there any tricks to copying
the files to make the time stamps work as expected?

Windows will be with me for a while, so I think a logical starting
point is to continue scripting the system with DOS file names.  To
change file names to Linux format, I could start with mapping c: to
/home/user-name and then flip the slashes.  Any problems with that?
Better ways to do it?  I hesitate to drag Wine into it.  It would
arguably bring a lot of overhead, it cheats learning my way around
Linux, and it cheats me out of an opportunity to write and smoke test
something on Linux.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida