> I'm almost certain DOS/Windows will accept a conventional pathname
> separator, "/" in addition to their own bastardized form.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would use the "\" on Windows.

> That said, Python's "os.path" module has lots of good pathname wrangling
> functions.  Python was your scripting language, right?

Bill Schwab uses Smalltalk. Last I heard, he was trying to switch from
the Dolphin implementation on Windows to the Squeak implementation on
Linux.

Just a few days ago I enjoyed an interview of Avi Bryant, creator of
Smalltalk's Seaside web development framework. Definitely worth
listening to if you are interested in building websites.

http://twit.tv/FLOSS

--
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.

                    - Howard Aiken -